Thank you for supporting this blog!

Not all of us are called to adopt, but you can always help a family who is.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Saxon Math Review

Math is one of my least favorite subjects.  Not because I don't understand it, but because it has been difficult to find a curriculum that works for our family. We have tried textbooks, workbooks, software and websites with little success.  Either my kids get bored or they don't retain the information.  In any case, I am usually frustrated by the end of the year (or sooner) and we go back to square one.  This year we finally found Saxon Math, a curriculum that meets the needs of my child. 
My oldest daughter (the guinea pig) sits down with her textbook every day and reads through the lesson.  If she has questions she asks, but usually she understands the explanation.  After reading the lesson, there are several sets of activities to complete.  Some are to practice the lesson that was just taught, some are problem solving, and some are review from prior lessons.  She also has a facts test every day to review basic skills such as multiplication and division facts, converting measurements and reducing fractions.  If she needs extra practice for a particular lesson, there are extra problems at the back of the book.  A test is offered every five lessons and an investigation activity is offered every ten lessons.
I have found that the number of problems within a lesson is too much for one day.  Generally, my daughter completes the even or odd problems and I grade her work.  If she needs more practice, we review the lesson and she completes a few more problems.  This system serves our needs better than having her complete the entire set of problems for every lesson.  
Taking into consideration our experience with the product this year and the cost to continue it with my other children, I will be switching everyone in our family to Saxon for the upcoming school year.

You might want to know that Saxon offers math curriculum for kindergarten through twelfth grade. 

Saxon Teacher is a component that I was unfamiliar with until this spring when I saw it at the homeschool convention.  This multimedia presentation teaches your child as she goes through the lessons.  When I get to the point that I don't feel comfortable teaching math, we will take advantage of this product.

I did not receive any product or compensation in exchange for this product review, nor did anyone ask for my opinion.  I freely share my opinions with anyone willing to read or listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment